Are you having trouble flossing with braces? Don’t worry, you aren’t alone! There is nothing that works as well as string floss to clean between your teeth, but for patients that are having a hard time using string floss, a Waterpik is the next best thing. It’s easy, fast, and effective in removing the plaque and debris lurking deep between teeth and below the gumline, where it’s hard to reach with traditional brushing. Just point the flosser tip between your teeth and along the gumline, and let it do the work for you. If you are interested in purchasing a Waterpik and would like more information, be sure to ask the front desk during your next appointment!
Step-by-step on how to use a Waterpik:
- Fill the reservoir with lukewarm water and place it on the base, pressing down firmly to ensure full seating.
- Select the tip and press firmly into the handle.
- If this is the first use, set the pressure control dial to high. Point the tip into the sink and turn on until water flows. Turn unit off.
- Adjust the pressure control (start at low pressure).
- Lean over the sink and place tip in mouth.
- Turn unit on. Close lips to prevent splashing, while allowing water to flow from mouth into sink.
- Start with the back teeth and pause briefly between teeth, aiming the tip just above the gumline at a 90 degree angle.
- When finished, turn unit off and use the tip eject button to remove the tip.
**This is NOT a substitute for flossing, it is designed to assist you in flossing and can be particularly helpful in areas that are difficult to clean**