May 11th, 2016
When a patient’s retainers are no longer fitting properly, there are usually two main reasons for this:
1) Not being worn as prescribed. While the prescribed length of time your retainers should be worn will vary after initially getting your braces removed, it is important to follow the instructions given by your orthodontist. If you stopped wearing your retainers for more than a few days, your teeth will move more than likely. This will result in your retainers either fitting too tight or no longer fitting at all. If this happens, it is important to contact your orthodontist as soon as possible!
2) Shape of retainer becomes distorted. This particularly may happen with an Essix retainer (or a clear retainer) because the material is plastic-based that is heat-sensitive. Hot temperatures may make the retainers lose their shape. Therefore, make sure to ONLY use lukewarm water when cleaning your retainers. Also be sure to keep them away from environments that may expose them to extremely temperatures. Do not attempt to clean retainers in a dishwasher! If a retainer does change its shape and stops fitting, it must be adjusted or replaced by your orthodontist.
In either case, if your retainers are no longer fitting, make sure to call your orthodontist ASAP to have them examined before your teeth start shifting and the beautiful results we obtained with your braces/Invisalign are lost.
April 14th, 2016
While there are several reasons a patient’s bracket could fall off, some of the most common causes are as follows:
1) DIET: As we try and stress to all patients, it’s best to avoid anything that is/would be considered HARD, CRUNCHY, or STICKY as all of these categories will weaken the glue used to bond the bracket overtime. Although patients commonly believe a broken bracket is the result of brushing too hard as that’s usually when they notice they have a broken bracket, in reality it was probably already loose but was merely discovered at that time.
2) BITE: When biting/chewing, if a tooth in the upper arch is hitting/touching a bracket in the lower arch, it is more likely that a bracket will come off. There is little that can be done to avoid this. As the treatment progresses, the bite will change and the tooth may be in a better position to allow for a bracket to be placed without being hit by the upper teeth.
3) TOOTH (baby teeth, crowned teeth): When an orthodontic bracket is attached to any other surface besides normal enamel, there is a loss of bond strength that can sometimes result in the failure of the bonding process. Some examples of “other surfaces” include porcelain (veneers, crowns, bridges, etc.) and dental restorations (composite or amalgam fillings). The composition of enamel of baby teeth is also different than adult teeth and tends to allow for lesser bond strength with brackets as well.
March 9th, 2016
If you are going out of town for Spring Break please make sure you have enough rubber bands and wax to get you through your trip. And as sports start back up, make sure to wear a braces compatible mouthguard while playing all contact sports.
We hope everyone has a wonderful and relaxing Spring Break!
January 13th, 2016
We love reading reviews that our patients write for us. Each and every one brings smiles to our faces! Here are examples of some we have received recently:
“If your child needs braces, this is the place to go. Always professional and friendly and always on time.” – B.L. 1/2016
“Dr. Hussaini and his staff are awesome! He is great with kids and his prices we have found are better than others!” – A.S. 11/2015
“We love this office. When we found out that we would be putting braces on a second child, I took the time to do multiple consults. We actually chose SmileWorks over the orthodontist we used for my other child, and I’m so glad we did. Dr. Hussaini and his staff are great. Appointment are always on time; we never sit around just waiting to be seen.” – A.A. 7/2015
“Our first daughter got her braces here and we were very happy with the results. The office is very new and clean. Dr. H is awesome and his staffs are very professional and friendly. We will definitely come back for our second daughter. We would recommend Smilesworks for everyone. Thanks Dr. H for sponsoring our Stonewall Swim Team in the divisional meet.” – U.V. 8/2015
“Great location. Great office. Very friendly and knowledgeable staff. My son feels very comfortable and at ease going through his orthodontic treatment. Highly recommend them if you are seeking an orthodontist.” C.B. 5/2015
“Dr. Hussaini and his staff ROCK! Dr. Hussaini told us when my son got his braces on 11/2013 that he would only probably be wearing his braces a year and half. He was right now. He’s getting them off 4/2015. Everyone is great there. We’ll be back this summer for child #2……..” – P.L. 3/2015
We love all of our patients and are always glad to know the feeling is mutual. We would love to hear what you have to say as well! If you would like to leave us a review, please do so on Google (through our website), on Facebook, or on Yelp!